Sunday, March 20, 2016

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #11


I had a lot of difficulty this week exploring podcasts. I was hoping to use the Garage Band application as it is produced by the apple store and is a safe tool to download, but it cost $6.99. As I did not want to spend that money on a tool I wasn't sure if I would use, I downloaded Audacity, which I was worried about because it wasn't from an identified developer and could potentially be harmful to my computer. After downloading it, I found that you could not stop record and begin on the same track. Being my first time creating a podcast, I had to try a few times before I was able to properly record and explain my experiences accurately. Once I finished, I had two files within audacity that I combined together to create my finished file. 

I saved the file under two different formats: MP3 and WAV. Neither of these files are compatible with the blogger tool, and as of yet I have not found a way to upload them. I was not immediately able to download the MP3 file, I had to download an additional application to my computer from an unidentified developer. In order to have an html embed code, I must host the file on a separate website and then create the embed code from there. There are no instructions on how to do this so I am unsure of how to proceed. If anyone has some advice for me that would be greatly appreciated. 

I don't think I will be using the Audacity tool moving forward. I don't like the applications interface, and I'm not sure what I would use it for. It seems like I could use the audio recorder on my phone much more easily and I would not have to use downloaded software. 

This week on my Feedly Reader I noticed an article about Brock hosting a free tax clinic! I have never done my own taxes before, and a resource at Brock to guide me through the process is definitely useful. Check it out if, like me, you might need some help in the tax department!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karina!
    That's too bad you had such a hard time using the podcast tools online! I'd like to suggest you give SoundCloud a try - it's the easiest thing to use! You can make a quick account online and begin recording right away, and the embedding part is pretty straight forward too! I'm not sure if it has options that allow you to start and stop recording, I didn't experiment with this. I also found it tricky to collect my thoughts in "one-go" but ended up writing out what I wanted to say and reading from a sheet (kind of cheating, but it helps a lot!)
    I hope you have some better luck soon!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete